Izzy Arkin quit his job as a middle school teacher to fulfill his dream of becoming a ninja. He grew up in Mendocino County in Northern California.
Izzy applied to "Teach for America" and was accepted. Taught school for 4 years in South Central Los Angeles. Izzy went into a period of depression in his job and had to look inside himself to see which direction to go. He was driving on the highway and broke down realizing he had to do something different in his life.
The dream of becoming a ninja kept on coming back as he continued to reflect in Los Angeles and started training in Aikido.
Izzy applied to teach english in Japan and moved to Japan to practice Aikido. At this time he started a blog to document his time in Japan of following his dreams.
Decided to move back to America in May 2015 and went through another journey and pivoted into using Aikido and teaching Aikido in America.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- The Hero's Journey
- Cultural and generational impact of breaking the chain of following your dreams
- The societal definition of "The American Dream"
- The Power of Vulnerability
- Asking for help in times of need
What you learn from this episode:
- How to use childhood clues to find your purpose in life
- How to use experiences that you are in right now to grow
- How to live an authentic life
- Finding your calling and going for your dreams
- Shifting to peaceful state rather than anxious state when asking "what do I want to do with my life"
- Taking action on your dreams
- Using reflection and slowing down during moments of life/career transitions
Getting in touch with Izzy Arkin:
The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
The Asian American Voice Podcast Social Media:
Please take a moment to "like" the Facebook page below for the latest updates on new episodes being released
How to Subscribe to The Podcast for Free!
A podcast is a free downloadable audio show that enables you to learn while you’re on the go. To subscribe to my podcast for free, you’ll need an app to listen to the show from.
For iPhone/iPad/iPod listeners – Grab your phone or device and go to the iTunes store and search “The Asian American Voice” This will help you to download the free Podcasts App (produced by Apple) and then subscribe to the show from within that app. Every time I produce a new episode, you’ll get it downloaded right on your iDevice.
For Android listeners – Download the Stitcher Radio app (free) and search for “The Asian American Voice” Or, if you have already downloaded a podcasting client, follow the directions in the next sentence.
You may also now download directly from your Google Play Music App by searching for "The Asian American Voice"
For podcast enthusiasts – If you already listen to podcasts and have a podcatcher that you prefer, the feed you’ll need to add is http://theasianamericanvoice.libsyn.com/taav