In 2012, Dawoon co-founded Coffee Meets Bagel along with her sisters Arum and Soo. As COO & Head of Marketing, Dawoon oversees the company’s overall vision, strategy, branding, and marketing. She has given numerous talks about dating, tech, and entrepreneurship to groups such as Women 2.0, The Commonwealth Club, including a recent TEDx talk with Arum in San Francisco on the theme The Beautiful Truth About Online Dating.
Dawoon shares about Coffee Meets Bagel and what differentiates their app from the other dating apps out there.
She shares about taking the leap from a cushy, corporate job to taking a risk and starting the company with her sisters. Dawoon also talks about her experience on Shark Tank and turning down a $30 million offer from Mark Cuban.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Working with family
- Parent's influence in going the entrepreneurial route
- Jeff Bezos CEO of Amazon "regret minimization model"
- Is it ever too late to start a business?
- Dawoon's experience on Shark Tank and turning down a $30 million offer from Mark Cuban
What you learn from this episode:
- How to separate your product from the competition
- How to take the leap from corporate to starting you own business
- How to start a tech company with no tech co-founders
- How to choose the right business partner
- How to stay committed in business
- Getting funding for a company
- The top 3 most important things to remember as a founder of a company
- Dealing with rejection
- Tips to pitch to investors
- Being courageous in business
- The importance of having a mission
- Ways to stretch your comfort zones
Getting in touch with Dawoon Kang:
Coffee Meets Bagel App on Itunes and Google Play
The Asian American Voice Podcast Social Media:
Please take a moment to "like" the Facebook page below for the latest updates on new episodes being released
How to Subscribe to The Podcast for Free!
A podcast is a free downloadable audio show that enables you to learn while you’re on the go. To subscribe to my podcast for free, you’ll need an app to listen to the show from.
For iPhone/iPad/iPod listeners – Grab your phone or device and go to theiTunes store and search “The Asian American Voice” This will help you to download the free Podcasts App (produced by Apple) and then subscribe to the show from within that app. Every time I produce a new episode, you’ll get it downloaded right on your iDevice.
For Android listeners – Download the Stitcher Radio app (free) and search for “The Asian American Voice” Or, if you have already downloaded a podcasting client, follow the directions in the next sentence.
"The Asian American Voice" now available on Google Play!
For podcast enthusiasts – If you already listen to podcasts and have a podcatcher that you prefer, the feed you’ll need to add is http://theasianamericanvoice.libsyn.com/taav