Brian is an actor and producer. He played Charlie Fong on the CBS hit TV show Hawaii 5-0. Co producer for “Linsanity” the documentary of Jeremy Lin’s rise to NBA fame which was a Sundance Films Official Selection Winner in 2013. Brian is a co-founder of 408 films.
Brian talks about the hustle of being a producer. It’s not all glamorous, but he is doing incredible things and having a great time in his career as producer and actor.
Doing work for NBA China as a field producer recently at NBA all star weekend.
Born in Ohio, raised in Cupertino, CA, went to UC Berkeley,
Talks about time at UC Berkeley and not feeling the calling there. Took a dramatic arts class in UC Berkeley and everything changed and fell in love with acting.
During college year played extra on movie“The Joy Luck Club” which opened doors of going into film production and acting.
2008 economic downturn, got laid off to go all in on film, acting and producing.
2011 started producing “Linsanity” and also around that time got cast in Hawaii 5-0
Focusing on producing now while still acting. Brian has a passion for sports documentaries and producing multiple projects
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Asian immigrant parents
- wishes of parents vs. our own calling
- Asian males in film industry
What you will learn from this episode:
- following your calling
- book smart vs. other types of smart
- Briefest encounters with things we love and people in industry you want can make huge impact
- Sacrificing and hustling to get into film industry, interning, 2 hour train ride to get to audition
- Importance of hustling in the entrepreneurial journey
- How to get over rejection and resilience in business
- Investing in company vs. investing in you as a person
- How to go all in on your dreams
- Creative control as a producer
- How to match passions with work and projects
- How to get past limitations (being an Asian male actor in Hollywood)
- How to leave safety to move towards business dreams using calculated risks
- Business opportunities in the new economy
Brian Yang's body of work:
Brian Yang Social Media:
Other Resources mentioned:
Master of None starring Aziz Ansari
The Asian American Voice Podcast Social Media:
Please take a moment to "like" the Facebook page below for the latest updates on new episodes being released
How to Subscribe to The Podcast for Free!
A podcast is a free downloadable audio show that enables you to learn while you’re on the go. To subscribe to my podcast for free, you’ll need an app to listen to the show from.
For iPhone/iPad/iPod listeners – Grab your phone or device and go to the iTunes store and search “The Asian American Voice” This will help you to download the free Podcasts App (produced by Apple) and then subscribe to the show from within that app. Every time I produce a new episode, you’ll get it downloaded right on your iDevice.
For Android listeners – Download the Stitcher Radio app (free) and search for “The Asian American Voice” Or, if you have already downloaded a podcasting client, follow the directions in the next sentence.
For podcast enthusiasts – If you already listen to podcasts and have a podcatcher that you prefer, the feed you’ll need to add is http://theasianamericanvoice.libsyn.com/taav