Henry Kim is a writer, director, producer and co-founder of Empty Kingdom. He is currently working on a documentary about the Golden State Warriors and their fan base called "The Believers".
Henry fell in love with movies at a young age and realized he wanted to go into film. He briefly worked in banking before going all in with his film career.
He learned film through some classes at San Francisco State University but mostly self taught by reading, studying and implementing.
We discuss the challenge and mentality of following your career dreams as well as some details of what being a film director entails.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Film Directors
- The U.S. educational system
- Corporate America and becoming just an employee
- Working through tough times and tragedy and utilizing art to get through
- Generational differences in professional values
- Guilt that comes from following dreams
- People pleasing
What you will learn from this episode:
- How to stay committed to your dream career
- How to get into film and learn film
- How to listen to your intuition to find work you love
- Shifting your mentality to be the best in all you do
- Staying humble
- The importance of working hard
- Letting go of control and trusting others
- Roles of a film director
- Leadership in directing films
Getting in touch with Henry Kim:
Books mentioned on the show:
The Asian American Voice Podcast Social Media:
Please take a moment to "like" the Facebook page below for the latest updates on new episodes being released
How to Subscribe to The Podcast for Free!
A podcast is a free downloadable audio show that enables you to learn while you’re on the go. To subscribe to my podcast for free, you’ll need an app to listen to the show from.
For iPhone/iPad/iPod listeners – Grab your phone or device and go to the iTunes store and search “The Asian American Voice” This will help you to download the free Podcasts App (produced by Apple) and then subscribe to the show from within that app. Every time I produce a new episode, you’ll get it downloaded right on your iDevice.
For Android listeners – Download the Stitcher Radio app (free) and search for “The Asian American Voice” Or, if you have already downloaded a podcasting client, follow the directions in the next sentence.
"The Asian American Voice" now available on Google Play!
For podcast enthusiasts – If you already listen to podcasts and have a podcatcher that you prefer, the feed you’ll need to add is http://theasianamericanvoice.libsyn.com/taav